Sign In

How to Vote?

​When you go to the table, you must indicate your name and present your identification document. You can identify yourself with your ID card or Citizen's Card, or if you do not have one, a document with an up-to-date photograph that is usually used for identification. You can also identify yourself through two electors who certify your identity on honour or by unanimous recognition of the members of the table. 

The chair of the polling station will give you a ballot paper (three for the election of local authority bodies) and you should then go to the voting chamber. There, you must fill in with a CROSS (X) the box in front of the list or candidate you wish to vote for, or, in the case of a referendum, the answer "YES" or "NO". If the ballot paper is damaged, return it and ask the Chair of the polling station for another one. 

While still in the Voting Chamber, fold the Ballot Paper in four with the printed part facing inwards. 

Then go to the polling station and hand the ballot paper to the chair, who will insert it into the ballot box, except for the election of Local Municipalities, where the voter inserts the ballot paper into the ballot box.

A ballot paper will be considered null or void: 
  • ​​On which more than one square has been ticked or when there is doubt as to which square has been ticked. 
  • Where the box corresponding to a list that has withdrawn from the elections or has not been admitted has been ticked.
  • On which any cut, drawing, erasure has been made or any word has been written. 
  • ​Containing an early vote, when the ballot paper does not arrive at the polling station under the legally established conditions, or when it is received in an envelope that is not properly sealed. 
A ballot paper that has not been marked in any way will be considered a blank vote. 

Voters affected by a noticeable​ illness or physical disability who are unable to vote alone, may be accompanied by a citizen voter of their choice. If the polling station has doubts as to whether the illness or physical disability is serious, it may require a certificate attesting to the inability to vote alone, issued by a doctor exercising powers of health authority in the area of the municipality. 

For this purpose, health centres are open on election or referendum days. 
Voting is a civic right and duty, so those responsible for companies or services in operation on election day must provide time-off sufficient to allow workers to exercise this right.